Requirements for licensure are set by the Illinois State Board of Education and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign colleges and departments that offer licensure programs. All candidates for licensure must satisfy the requirements of the Common Assessment Plan for their program (undergraduate teaching, graduate teaching, or school leaders and school support personnel) and pass Illinois State Licensure (ILTS) tests appropriate to their licensure program. The following is a checklist of the requirements and when they must be completed.
Prior to admittance you will need to:
Prior to being placed in an early field experience you will need to:
Prior to student teaching you must:
- complete all required early field experience hours;
- have your basic skills test requirement (TAP/ACT/SAT) recorded on the ISBE ELIS system;
- complete bloodborne pathogen training;
- take and pass your appropriate content-area test prior to student teaching. Failure to pass the content test prior to your student teaching semester will result in you not being able to complete student teaching in the intended semester and will lengthen your time to degree and licensure;
- complete the Mandated Reporter training module and sign the Mandated Reporter Acknowledgement;
- electronically sign the Student Teaching Agreement located in your student portal.
Prior to licensure you must have:
- successfully passed the edTPA;
- your degree conferred and posted to your transcript;
- maintained a C or better in ALL content and professional education coursework;
- maintained at least the minimum required content GPA, professional education GPA, UI GPA, and overall GPA as determined by your program; and
- successfully completed all program requirements.
The requirements above can change at any time due to Illinois State Board of Education rule changes and/or legislative changes. All of the above links are also found at www.cote.illinois.edu.
Please note that programs may require the above items to be completed earlier than stated above. In addition, per 105 ILCS 5/24-5, Section 24.5, school districts are required to have student teachers complete a physical prior to student teaching.